Happy Living

Monday, October 10, 2005

English to Hindi

Scene 1:

Friend: Shucks! Can you take this? The Hindi version of “Dunston Checks In” is titled “Ek Bandar Hotel ke Andar”
Me: I can take that. Handle this. “Murdho ki Kahaani Ek Bacche ki Zubani”
Few seconds of roaring laughter…
Me: Don’t even try to guess. It’s the Hindi counterpart of “Sixth Sense”

Scene 2:

My dad and me have this fetish for English movies. One day we very enthusiastically enter a nearby cinema hall to catch the then latest Bond flick “Tommorrow Never Dies”

No loud cheers. Hardly any people around. Never mind
70mm screen, Dolby surround sound. Titles roll and a background narration follows

“Peechli baar humne dekha….”

My dad’s mouth went dry.
My instant reaction “What the…”
Hoping against hope, that it was some Hindi trailer…It was not exactly our favorable day! No wonder, there was no crowd.

Moral of the story: Always, find out if the English movie is in English and not in Hindi before getting tickets.

Scene 3:

A queue near the mess counter in our hostel. A Southie standing ahead of me turns to ‘bhaiyya’ and religiously says “Maggi bhaiyya” [Gimme a plate of Maggi]
Bhaiyya: “Banana hain” [I have to prepare it]
Southie: (replies instantly) “Banana no, maggi…” [I want no banana, I want Maggie!]
Bhaiyya: (continues) “Banana hain…” [I have to prepare it]

We allow the confusion to continue and savor the hilarious moment

Period

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home